Monday, August 4, 2014

Coconut Oil


  You have probably already heard all about coconut oil, just in case you haven't though I thought I would post my uses and my thoughts about it. 
  The only brand I have tried is this one pictured above. 100% pure Lou Ana coconut oil. I found it in the baking isle at my local walmart. There are two sizes of this brand. I originally bought the small tub but decided on the big one the second go around. The small one is 14 fl oz and costs about $5, the big one is 30 fl oz and costs about $7. I do plan on trying different brands.
  I haven't eaten it, so that is not what this post will be about. I know you can cook with it but I tried it strictly for beauty reasons and have discovered good uses for it. 

*Body oil: I put it on just like a lotion, after my shower and before bed. It's an oil so you will be greasy but my skin is so dry that I don't exactly mind feeling a little greasy as long as the product is moisturizing. And it does! This makes my skin feel so soft and moisturized.

*Tanning oil: I was running out of my normal tanning oil so I thought "why not?!"  It worked great! It gave me an even tan without getting burnt. As well as moisturizing my skin while I was at it! 

*Sun burn healer: I went to a little pond in my area with my friends and family and didn't apply sunscreen like I should have. I didn't get way burnt by any means, but my shoulders got a little pink though. When I got out of the shower that night I applied this and by the next morning my pink shoulders were golden brown (in a good way, not a crispy chicken way). 

*Face moisturizer: (is it just me or is there a moisturized theme going on) I use this instead of my normal moisturizer. As long as you apply it 30 minutes before your makeup (and you don't get oily) you shouldn't have problems with your makeup sliding around. This makes my makeup go on so smoothly. Bonus use: under eye moisturizer too! 

*Hot oil hair treatment: I will slather my dry hair in this and go sit in the 100 degree weather for about 20 minutes (usually while the kids are playing outside). I also make sure I get it to my scalp since I have a dry head too. Just be sure to wash your hair with your shampoo twice and use half your normal conditioner amount. It makes my hair shiny and so soft! 

*Cuticle oil: does this need an explanation lol!

*Diaper rash: this is my most recent use for coconut oil. My baby was having a bad few days of a bright red bum. This helped a ton! After every messy diaper I would put this on her and it would make clean up of the next messy diaper so much smoother. And helped protect her sore bottom by keeping good moisture on her bum. 

  I have noticed my face isn't as dry and flakey with makeup on anymore. The bumps on the back of my arms are almost gone. My legs don't look as dry and scaley anymore. It gives my skin a little life instead of looking dry and dull. 
  All in all I'm a big fan of coconut oil! I will continue to use this on myself and my kids. 

If you have any other products you would like me to review leave a comment below.

Talk to you next time!


No comments: